a question about creating a name server for a router

Remco Rijnders remco at webconquest.com
Sun Jul 1 03:43:29 EDT 2007

Op Saturday 30 June 2007 01:58, schreef Scott Berry:

> I have a question concerning maradns for a Wrt54G router.  I need to make
> some name servers because I want to forward my www.pilotalk.com to a server
> here in my house.  The question I have concerns does the name servers
> actually have to be two different machines or can it all be on my router
> and it routes it out?  I am using Open Wrt with Xwrt on top.

Hi Scott,

To me it seems as if you are getting a few things mixed up here and as a
result are lost on what to do next. Let me try to explain.

You have registered your domain name. In order for the hosts on that domain
(including www.*) to properly resolve DNS is needed. For your domain name,
the listed name servers are:

   NS1.EVERYDNS.NET
   NS2.EVERYDNS.NET
   NS3.EVERYDNS.NET
   NS4.EVERYDNS.NET

In those nameservers records for pilotalk.com and www.pilotalk.com have to be
present in order for your domain to resolve. Most probably you can add these
records using the web interface at www.everydns.net. Note that for all of
this you won't need to run a nameserver on your own computer or router.

One thing that you will need (or which would be very useful at least) is a
static IP address at home. This way you won't have to change your DNS records
each time you connect to the internet.

Once DNS is properly set up with the nameservers above, all connection
attempts to www.pilotalk.com should end up at your IP address
(67.54.156.70 ?).

As you are using a router, you'll probably have to configure port forwarding
on that router to pass through all traffic for port 80 on your public IP
address to port 80 of your computer's IP address on your internal network.
Please refer to the manual of your router to learn how to do this.

I hope this helps to clarify.

Kind regards,

Remco Rijnders