Free MaraDNS secondary host

Remco Rijnders remco at webconquest.com
Sun Jul 1 04:05:48 EDT 2007

Op Tuesday 05 June 2007 15:07, schreef Daniel Zilli:
> Hi everyone.
>
> We see in this web, some free seconday dns host, but no one using MaraDNS.
> I would like to know if is there a way to offer this service with quality
> and for free ? In other words. Does someone here has the condition to setup
> a service like that ?

Hi Daniel,

Apologies for the late reply.

I have given thought to doing something exactly as you describe in the past
and it's an idea which I still haven't discarded completely. While I feel I
do have the resources (connection and hardware wise) to offer such a service,
there still are a few reasons, valid or not, which in my opinion makes it
hard or not worthwhile to offer such a service using maradns:

- As such a service would become more popular, you can expect changes to be
made to the various zones continiously. As far as I know, you can't load
(just) the changed zones without restarting mara;
- You propose to use such a service as secondary DNS host. Assuming that the
primary host will use a different flavoured nameserver, it would be better if
mara could deal with NOTIFY request when the zone information on the primary
host changes.

These are the two main show stoppers I could think of, though there might be
more.

That said, perhaps the best motivation against doing this using MaraDNS is
that this tool selection is only of interest to you, me, Sam, and some others
on this list. The vast majority of end users probably couldn't care one bit
what software is serving their DNS records as long as the servers providing
this service are stable and efficient.

Once or if the show stoppers above get addressed then I surely would be
interested in such a project, but till such a time I question the feasability
of such a project.

Kind regards,

Remco