bind_star_handling with wildcards that match multiple labels

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 13:41:28 EDT 2007

Thank you for the patch.  I will review this patch and will probably
incorporate it in to the next version of MaraDNS.  The only reason I
couldn't integrate your last patch is because I had already patched
that code in the stable branch of MaraDNS.

As an aside, do *not* set bind_star_handling to 2 in MaraDNS 1.2.12.06
unless you use this patch:

http://hotaru.chaosring.org/~sam/maradns-1.2.12.06/maradns-1.2.12.06-star_collision_memleak.patch

Otherwise MaraDNS will leak memory.

As a sense of the time scale, I only update MaraDNS 1.2 once every
three months unless there is a critical security hole.  This
particular memleak is not ciritcal since it only happens if someone
sets bind_star_handling to 2. The last update was around May 18th; the
next update will be around August 18th.  So far, there are two changes
for this release: The memleak patch and your proposed patch.