number of zoneserver instances?

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 19:50:26 EST 2007

> I'm running MaraDNS 1.2.12.06 on OpenBSD 4.2 (release) from the ports system.

Please update to 1.2.12.08, and tell the maintiners of OpenBSD's ports
system to update to 1.2.12.08; some fairly important bugs have been
fixed since 1.2.12.06.   And, yes, even though my contact page makes
it clear that I don't support 1.2.12.06, I still get emails from
OpenBSD users about bugs that I have since fixed.

If there is any kind of bureaucracy that stops these kinds of
maintainence updates from being put in the ports tree, well, tell the
relevant bureaucrats that the only 1.2 changes at this point are
important and critical bug fixes, and things like updating the list of
root servers (1.2.12.09, which will come out in early to mid-December,
will have the updated L.ROOT-SERVERS.NET, and a few other minor but
important bugfixes; see the MaraDNS changelog for 1.3.07.07 for an
idea of what bugs have been fixed).  It's bad enough that Debian has
this bureaucratic BS that causes Debian users to have an outdated
version of MaraDNS; hopefully OpenBSD doesn't have the same problem.

As for the zoneserver, it forks() whenever a new connection is opened,
so you may see it a few times in the 'ps' list.  I will have to look
at the code to see if it has a second instance always, but yes fork()
is in that code.