MaraDNS Large Sites?

Duane duane at e164.org
Mon Oct 1 19:12:20 EDT 2007

Sam Trenholme wrote:
> Are you going to use MaraDNS as an authoritative or recursive DNS server.
>
>> I'm considering deploying MaraDNS for a site that would see around 300 DNS
>> requests per second.
>
> MaraDNS, on a modern computer should easily be able to process this
> many authoritative records:
>
> http://www.maradns.org/speed.comparison.html

Any plans to do a comparison testing on the current versions of MaraDNS
(auth and recursion), BIND (auth and recursion), djbdns (auth and
recursion), NSD (auth only) and PowerDNS (auth or recursion), and any
others that have released at least a security fix in the last 6-12 months.

I don't want this to sound like a rant, or that I'm out to get Sam in
anyway, but things change all the time. However I can't help but notice
the versions listed on the link given are quite old, even djbdns which
hasn't been updated in years released you have compared against a
previous minor version then what's currently distributed.

The closest thing I can find to the above criteria was on a Hungarian
site (but I don't speak/read Hungarian and I can't find a decent online
translator):

http://www.gluon.hu/dns_benchmark

They used MaraDNS v1.2.07.5 and djbdns 1.0.5, while not 100% current is
a little closer to current then 0.5.09.