rcconf provided partial solution maradns process no longer starts

Greg Platt - Platt Consultants GregPlatt at ix.netcom.com
Tue Aug 5 00:13:29 EDT 2008

I dug around and figured out that the tool I needed to stop the maradns
autostart was either rcconf or sysv-rc-conf. So, I installed rcconf and ran
it and have now stopped maradns from autostarting. However, I'm still having
trouble because ether the install of maradns or something else seems to have
locked down port 53 so that it shows as "in use" when any process tries to
access it. As a result, I can no longer start maradns manually.

All I'm trying to do is get back to where I can run the process manually and
stop and restart it easily while I'm testing the darn thing.

Any suggestions about how I can get back to that point would be VERY MUCH
appreciated!