rcconf provided partial solution maradns process no longer starts

"Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik" ruskie at codemages.net
Tue Aug 5 00:55:32 EDT 2008

On 06:13:29 2008-08-05 "Greg Platt - Platt Consultants"
<GregPlatt at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> I dug around and figured out that the tool I needed to stop the maradns
> autostart was either rcconf or sysv-rc-conf. So, I installed rcconf and
> ran it and have now stopped maradns from autostarting. However, I'm
> still having trouble because ether the install of maradns or something
> else seems to have locked down port 53 so that it shows as "in use"
> when any process tries to access it. As a result, I can no longer start
> maradns manually.
>
> All I'm trying to do is get back to where I can run the process
> manually and stop and restart it easily while I'm testing the darn
> thing.
>
> Any suggestions about how I can get back to that point would be VERY
> MUCH appreciated!

Try 'netstat -Nnlp | grep 53' and see what process is using the port and
kill that one :)

--
Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodies.
Ryle hira.

Key id = F4C1F89C
Key fingerprint = 6FF2 8F20 4C9D DB36 B5B6  F134 884D 72CC F4C1 F89C