FW: MaraDNS now runs automatically on reboot but always times out...

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 13:32:09 EDT 2008

Greg,

Just a reminder to send all messages to the list (I know, in Gmail,
it's easy to accidentally send the mail to just me).  As per my
disclaimer, I am CCing this reply to the list.

> Log: Root directory changed
> Fatal error: Problem binding to port 53.
>
> System said: Cannot assign requested address

OK, to see if something is on port 53, do this as root:

netstat -nap | grep 53

These options are Linux-specific, and tell you which process is on a given port.

To see what services^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H daemons are started by your
system, look in /etc/init.d, /etc/rc3.d (symlinks to all services
started at runlevel 3) and /etc/rc5.d (runlevel 5).  As an aside, does
anyone here know the default runlevel for init on Debian systems?

Also, make sure you have the IP Mara is asking for:

ipconfig

Since the error looks like one where you don't have the IP Mara is
asking for.  What is the value of bind_address or ipv4_bind_addresses
in your mararc file?

MaraDNS *should* use /etc/mararc for the default configuration file;
if not look at the appropriate /etc/init.d file (probably
/etc/init.d/maradns) to see how MaraDNS is started up.

> Thanks for the feedback and the willingness to help, Sam. I know you're very
> busy. Obviously, any further thoughts or suggestions you have would be MUCH
> appreciated. I'm particularly curious now about how to create a mara error
> log. If I can prove the same problem happens during boot-time startup (i.e.
> mara is unable to bind port 53) then I'll know where to look next.

MaraDNS, if started with duende, will log all messages with syslog().
The Duende man page has all of the ugly details:

man duende

MaraDNS uses standard output for all logs; duende converts this in to
system logs (In /var/log as I recall on Debian systems).

I'm a RedHat/CentOS guy, not a Debian guy, so my knowledge doesn't apply 100%.

- Sam

Note: If you send me a MaraDNS-related support question, I reserve the
right to post your support email to the Mara-DNS mailing list so that
the community at large can examine your issue. MaraDNS security
vulnerability reports, however, will be kept confidential.