Still Looking for Help: Why doesn't Maradns start at boot time?

Greg Platt - Platt Consultants GregPlatt at ix.netcom.com
Mon Aug 25 08:11:13 EDT 2008

In my reinstall of maradns on my Debian 4.0r3 etch system, I had several
issues related to errors I'd made during setup. I've gradually worked
through and solved all but one of those. But I need help on the issue that's
left.

The one remaining issue (which is plainly critical in my ultimate ability to
use mara) is that for some reason maradns fails to load chroot'ed in
resident mode at boot time. If I start maradns manually after boot as the
root user, it starts and runs fine. But when I reboot the server, I find
maradns did NOT restart during the boot process and I can't figure out why.

For the record, if I run the process manually as the root user after startup
and leave it running, it does seem to STAY running; but having the DNS
server not start at boot time is definitely a BIG problem!

A check of rcconf shows maradns is listed and configured to start and a grep
of dmesg after boot shows no errors are being produced by maradns at boot
time. Yet, after the server has BOOTED, maradns is definitely not running
from what I can tell. I'm looking for it using "ps aux | grep mara". And
from what I see, it is definitely NOT in the active task list after startup.

When maradns is set to start at boot time, but it does NOT do so, I'm at a
loss as to how to troubleshoot the boot process.

Can SOMEONE here please advise me on how to fix this problem?

Thanks!