SOLVED! Why doesn't Maradns start at boot time?

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 11:41:36 EDT 2008

> As mara works on a Debian system when it is installed, a default mararc file
> is created in the /etc/maradns directory. However according to the mara docs
> the NORMAL location of this file is in the /etc directory.

The issue is that the Debian package needs to revise all of the
MaraDNS docs to point out that the default mararc file is in
/etc/maradns/, or to have a very prominent README.debian that points
out that the mararc file is in /etc/maradns.

I am sure Jakko can look at and address this issue; I think, since
Mara's online docs say it's in /etc/mararc, but Debian needs it to be
in /etc/maradns/mararc, the best thing to do is to have a
README.debian pointing this out or to have an additional printf("NOTE:
The Debian build of MaraDNS has the mararc file in
/etc/maradns/mararc\n"); in the code run when MaraDNS is started up.

Don't get me started on how Debian's random hacking of code resulted
in OpenSSH having a gaping security hole.

Personally, I think CentOS/RHEL (or one of the BSDs) makes a lot more
sense on a server.