duende Does Not Work Under FreeBSD

Lew Payne lew.payne at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 12:33:47 EDT 2008

I've been running the version of maradns that is in the ports
collection for FreeBSD.  In my case, it is MaraDNS version 1.2.12.08.

The "duende" program has never worked for me, as far as logging.  This
is actually not a new discussion; I had an email discussion with Sam
about this more than a year ago.  The only way I have found to be able
to capture maradns output for logging (syslog) has been to modify the
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/maradns.sh startup script as follows:

# diff maradns.*
< command="${prefix}/bin/duende"
---
> command="${prefix}/sbin/${name}"
36c36
< flags="${prefix}/sbin/${name} ${maradns_flags}"
---
> flags="${maradns_flags} | logger -t maradns -p local1.notice &"

Again, the duende program does spawn/start maradns the way it's
supposed to.  However, the logging does not work.  I am noting this on
this mailing list so that other future FreeBSD or BDS-derivative users
can easily find it via a search.

Lew Payne
lew.payne at gmail.com