duende Does Not Work Under FreeBSD

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 15:25:59 EDT 2008

> The "duende" program has never worked for me, as far as logging.

You know, *BSDs have caused its share of headaches for MaraDNS.  For
example, there is an issue that Zoneserver in MaraDNS 1.3 doesn't
compile under FreeBSD, and I never got a patch to fix the issue so
that Zoneserver would compile in FreeBSD.

As another example, NetBSD uses a system for ports called "pkgsrc"
which doesn't work too well with MaraDNS because "pkgsrc" assumes
you're using autoconf and can't handle non-autoconf build processes
very well.  I asked for patches from the NetBSD guys to resolve this
issue; all I got was whining about how I characterized "pkgsrc" being
NetBSD's form of ports, and empty promises.

As another issue, the BSDs have handled threads poorly, which makes
MaraDNS' heavy use of threads problematic.  I am actually working on
this issue (slowly); the new Deadwood non-recursive resolver doesn't
use threads.

Basically, if you're using BSD, sorry, I don't use it on my system.
If you can give me an assurance that all of the hardware in my Linux
Dell 1420 works under one of the BSDs (it's a Linux 1402 so there's no
"secret specs" issue), I would be happy to try it (I'm sick of Linux's
way of changing the driver model every three months or so, making it
nay-to-impossible to use new drivers with older, stable kernels).

Until then, it's up to the BSD guys to fix these issues yourself.
Give me patches and I will seriously consider integrating them in the
next release of MaraDNS.  Give me a BSD startup script that doesn't
use Duende and works, and I will consider using it.

If you can find a piece of MaraDNS code that isn't POSIX compliant,
resulting in compilation or running problems in MaraDNS, I will be
happy to fix the issue if you can cite chapter and verse in POSIX.
Yes, you can look at POSIX on the web:

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/000095399/mindex.html

Thank you for your understanding,

- Sam

Note: If you send me a MaraDNS-related support question, I reserve the
right to post your support email to the Mara-DNS mailing list so that
the community at large can examine your issue. MaraDNS security
vulnerability reports, however, will be kept confidential.