duende Does Not Work Under FreeBSD

"Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik" ruskie at codemages.net
Tue Aug 26 15:37:46 EDT 2008

On 21:25:59 2008-08-26 "Sam Trenholme" <strenholme.usenet at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The "duende" program has never worked for me, as far as logging.
>
> You know, *BSDs have caused its share of headaches for MaraDNS.  For
> example, there is an issue that Zoneserver in MaraDNS 1.3 doesn't
> compile under FreeBSD, and I never got a patch to fix the issue so
> that Zoneserver would compile in FreeBSD.
>
> As another example, NetBSD uses a system for ports called "pkgsrc"
> which doesn't work too well with MaraDNS because "pkgsrc" assumes
> you're using autoconf and can't handle non-autoconf build processes
> very well.  I asked for patches from the NetBSD guys to resolve this
> issue; all I got was whining about how I characterized "pkgsrc" being
> NetBSD's form of ports, and empty promises.
>
> As another issue, the BSDs have handled threads poorly, which makes
> MaraDNS' heavy use of threads problematic.  I am actually working on
> this issue (slowly); the new Deadwood non-recursive resolver doesn't
> use threads.
>
> Basically, if you're using BSD, sorry, I don't use it on my system.
> If you can give me an assurance that all of the hardware in my Linux
> Dell 1420 works under one of the BSDs (it's a Linux 1402 so there's no
> "secret specs" issue), I would be happy to try it (I'm sick of Linux's
> way of changing the driver model every three months or so, making it
> nay-to-impossible to use new drivers with older, stable kernels).
>
> Until then, it's up to the BSD guys to fix these issues yourself.
> Give me patches and I will seriously consider integrating them in the
> next release of MaraDNS.  Give me a BSD startup script that doesn't
> use Duende and works, and I will consider using it.
>
> If you can find a piece of MaraDNS code that isn't POSIX compliant,
> resulting in compilation or running problems in MaraDNS, I will be
> happy to fix the issue if you can cite chapter and verse in POSIX.
> Yes, you can look at POSIX on the web:
>
> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/000095399/mindex.html
>
> Thank you for your understanding,

You mean these:
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/net/maradns/patches/patch-server_udpsuccess_c

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/net/maradns/patches/patch-tcp_zoneserver_c

That are needed for openbsd...

--
Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodies.
Ryle hira.

Key id = F4C1F89C
Key fingerprint = 6FF2 8F20 4C9D DB36 B5B6  F134 884D 72CC F4C1 F89C