MaraDNS as secondary

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 17:52:05 EDT 2008

Looks good.  I will integrate it in to the next release of MaraDNS,
probably next week.

I've been talking to some other people, and I think I will need to
take an official break from MaraDNS.  I had to end the email support
line somewhat messily; the email support has been mainly annoying me.
Up until late 2007, it was a good way to find subtle bugs I missed and
mistakes in the documentation.  Since then, it's just pretty much
people giving me stuff answered in the FAQ, feature requests, or
"MaraDNS doesn't compile in HP-UX" type bugs, or, ever since I put up
the PayPal button, "I just gave you $1 in your PayPal account and want
this feature added to MaraDNS RIGHT NOW" type emails.

Sorry, guys. MaraDNS doesn't have a web interface.  Doesn't support
DNSSEC.  Can't reload zones without restarting the program.  No SQL
support either.  Has a strong, but not perfect security history.  Yes,
I have a PayPal button, but don't talk to me right now about writing
code unless you're willing to pay me at least $3000.

So, I just took all of the unanswered support requests from April and
May, and told everyone I just don't answer MaraDNS support email any
more.

Here is my current plan for MaraDNS: Last time I looked at "Deadwood
2", the new recursive code that is currently a caching-only DNS
server, its code to read and write the cache from a file wasn't
working.  So I want to fix that.  I also want to integrate Mr. Beyer's
script in to MaraDNS' code.  This will be the next 1.3 release of
MaraDNS, which I hope to release next week sometime (the operative
word here is "hope").

Once I do that, I'm officially taking a break.  The only MaraDNS
updates during my break will be security patches.  Don't send MaraDNS
support requests or feature requests to this email address.  Send them
to the list.  Or send me a patch.  If you send me a MaraDNS-related
support question, I reserve the right to post your support email to
the MaraDNS mailing list so that the community at large can examine
your issue. MaraDNS security vulnerability reports, however, will be
kept confidential.

I've taken breaks before; MaraDNS development was really quiet during
2003-2004, for example.  I plan on getting back to MaraDNS work, but I
just need to no longer be so burnt out.

If anyone is curious about my personal life during the break, my
personal blog is at http://www.samiam.org/blog