setting up NS record

Remco Rijnders remco at webconquest.com
Tue Nov 4 23:12:47 EST 2008

Op 5 nov 2008, om 04:40 heeft paragasu het volgende geschreven:

> let say i have domain example.com and i did setup
> ns1.anotherdomain.com and ns2.anotherdomain.com as my name server.
>
> on the domain root server. i add ns1.anotherdomain.com and
> ns2.anotherdomain.com,
>
> on mara configuration i add
>
> example.com.  67.167.27.34
> example.com.  ns1.anotherdomain.com
> example.com.  ns2.anotherdomain.com
> ns1.anotherdomain.com    67.75.144.103
> ns2.anotherdomain.com    67.75.144.104
>
> it works fine. except .. it return different ns record
> if i do $ns example.com
> the data returned is
> synth-ip-4649a790.example.com and
> synth-ip-4649a790.example.com
> but sometime it return ns1.anotherdomain.com and ns2.anotherdomain.com
> but synth mostly come up (9 out of 10)
>
> i suspect my configuration problem. how to config to make it return
> the
> ns record ns1.anotherdomain.com?

Your zone file actually isn't serving any NS records at all. Just by
including ns1 and ns2 records does not magically turn them into
nameserver records. At the absence of such records, maradns will try
to construct NS records itself (the synth-ip ones you see).

You probably want to do something like:

example.com. NS ns1.anotherdomain.com.
example.com. NS ns2.anotherdomain.com.
example.com. 67.167.27.34

and put the records for anotherdomain.com in a zone file of its own
(don't forget the dot at the end of your hostnames!)

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Remco