setting up NS record

Remco Rijnders remco at webconquest.com
Wed Nov 5 04:03:14 EST 2008

> anotherdomain.com currently hosted on free dns server - everydns.net
>
> do i need to setup maradns as a recrusive dns in order to avoid
> maradns to construct
> ns record by itself (synth-ip) ?

Hi,

If ns1.anotherdomain.com and ns2.anotherdomain.com are hosted on a
computer you do not control and you want them to answer for example.com
you need to set up an example.com zone file with everydns.net and do not
need to run your own authorative nameserver. DNS queries will
automatically go to the everydns servers if the listed nameservers on your
domain registration matches ns1.anotherdomain.com and
ns2.anotherdomain.com.

If ns1.anotherdomain.com and ns2.anotherdomain.com are under your control
and listed on your domain registration as the nameservers for example.com
then you need to load the zone file for example.com as I illustrated in my
previous email. In that case you do not need to have any address records
in your zone file for anotherdomain.com other than the two NS entries I
gave.

I hope this clarifies.

Kind regards,

Remmy