I have found and fixed the Duende FreeBSD problem

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 14:07:42 EDT 2008

Well, someone who made a donation to the MaraDNS cause wanted to see
the issue fixed so I got FreeBSD going yesterday.

> The thing is, when I tested last year, I
> even did a "catch all" and still did not see any duende output,
> to-wit:
>
> /etc/syslog.conf:
>
> !maradns
> *.*           /var/log/maradns
> !duende   /var/log/maradns
> *.*
>
> and then as I got more angry, I did the following...
>
> /etc/syslog.conf:
>
> *.*          /var/log/all.log

Hmm, that ! syntax with syslog is confusing.

If you have something like
!foo
*.* /var/log/foo
*.* /var/log/all

Only information from the "foo" application will get logged.  What you
have to do is this:

!foo
*.* /var/log/foo
!*
*.* /var/log/all

And then things work.  This might have been the problem.

And, yes, having more *NIX accounts is a good thing.  I'll send you my PGP key.

As an aside, I *like* FreeBSD.  Ubuntu wastes disk space with eye
candy and silly things like playing a song after you log in, but
doesn't come with a usable compiler nor development environment, and
you have to do a number of "apt-get install"s to make it a usable
system (libc-devel; patch; etc.)  And, oh, Ubuntu is quite unstable;
my wireless card sometimes works and sometimes doesn't work.  The
other day I was logging in to Gnome and Ubuntu crashed during the
login, forcing a system reset.

FreeBSD, on the other hand, in the "User" install doesn't have Bash,
doesn't have X, any editor besides "vi", and doesn't have three-piece
bands playing songs to celebrate you successfully logging in.  On the
other hand, it's a usable system out of the box: gcc; patch; libraries
and header files to compile programs; sshd; it's all there by default.

It looks like the important stuff in my laptop is supported in
FreeBSD.  I wonder if FreeBSD now supports extended partitions.

I want a free *NIX system that is stable, but still gets new drivers
for new hardware.  Ubuntu is too unstable; CentOS/RHEL takes too long
getting new drivers in to the kernel.  The problem a stable Linux has
is that it's really hard to get new drivers in to a stable kernel
because the Linux kernel developers constantly tweak the driver API.
Linux still feels like a hack.

I will try downloading FreeBSD in the next few days.  It's a 2 gig
torrent, so it'll take me a while to get it down here in Mexico, but I
like what I see so far.