Update on Deadwood (MaraDNS rewrite)

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Wed Apr 8 06:12:22 EDT 2009

Sam Trenholme <strenholme.usenet at gmail.com> wrote:

> [snipped]
>
> My tentative plans are to add recursion to Deadwood, release a MaraDNS
> 2.0 which will be MaraDNS without recursion and Deadwood (this means
> it won't be possible to have the authoritative MaraDNS and Deadwood
> share the same IP).  This will probably be released sometime in 2010.
> Since some people will still want the MaraDNS 1 behavior (same IP
> authoritative and recursive), I will continue to maintain a branch of
> MaraDNS 1.

Does not really matter if the authoritative lives on 127.0.0.1 and you
have similar functionality as you do in 1.3.x that effectively relays
particular domains to particular IP's....it would need to be a 'pass
through' non-caching option though.

I would imagine that this would help keep the codebases very separate
and the 'pass-though no cache' hack would be rather non-invasive.

Anyway, cheers for the update

[1] we need DNS views

--
Alexander Clouter