Question about delegating NS to another zone

Summers, William wsummers at deerfield.edu
Thu Apr 23 16:58:57 EDT 2009

Sam,

I was looking for clarification on how Mara handles a delegation from a
subdomain to a nameserver in another zone using the authonly binary.

For example: xxxx.example.com
{SOA}
xxxx.example.com. ns ns1.dnsprovider.com.
xxxx.example.com. ns ns2.dnsprovider.com.

In my initial tests Mara returns ns records, but, even with glue records
I have not been able to get A records from the offsite ns. I also set
+norecurse to see if the issue listed in the faq as "I have a NS
delegation, and MaraDNS is doing strange things." I have experimented
with dangling CNAME between ns1.xxxx.example.com and
ns1.dnsprovider.com.

So far no luck returning dns records from the provider. Do I need to run
the full binary?

I am not certain these are Mara issues, but was hoping for some insight
since the FAQ pages refer to delegations only within the same zone.

Thanks for such a great, secure system.