Proposed AFNIC FAQ entry

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 18:19:54 EDT 2009

Since there has been an issue with AFNIC, I am going to add a new MaraDNS
FAQ:

--

Q: I am having problems registering my domain with AFNIC (the registrar for
.fr domains)

A: Because of an issue with AFNIC (who, annoyingly enough, check the RA bit
when registering a domain), in order to register a domain with AFNIC using
MaraDNS as your DNS server, the following steps needs to be followed:

1) MaraDNS version 1.3.14 or higher needs to be used; if you're using an
older version of MaraDNS, upgrade.

2) It is necessary to have recursion disabled.  This can be done either by
compiling MaraDNS without recursive support (./configure --authonly ; make),
or by making sure MaraDNS does not have recursion enabled (by not having
recursive_acl set in one's mararc file)

If one wishes to both register domains with AFNIC and use MaraDNS as a
recursive DNS server, it is required to have the recursive server be a
separate instance of MaraDNS on a separate IP.  It is not possible to have
the same DNS server both send DNS packets in a way that both makes AFNIC
happy and allows recursive queries.

Note also that AFNIC gives warnings about reverse DNS lookups; more
information about this issue can be found in the FAQ entry about reverse DNS
mappings:

http://www.maradns.org/faq.html#rdns

--

Are there any errors in this FAQ entry?