WKS query handling for CSV2 star entries

Kyler Laird kyler-keyword-maradns10.e74014 at lairds.com
Tue Dec 1 12:48:29 EST 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 04:48:11AM +0100, Remco Rijnders wrote:

> >If I use
> >	csv2["*.ucmerced.edu."] = "star.ucmerced.edu.csv2"
> >I get an error for WKS queries to matching domains.
> >	$ host -t wks eecs.ucmerced.edu engdns00.ucmerced.edu
> >	eecs.ucmerced.edu WKS record query refused by engdns00.ucmerced.edu

> I don't think a construct like csv2["*.ucmerced.edu."]
> is ever going to work.

And yet it does.  WKS records are the only problem I've noticed.

> What you should do instead is create a single
> zone file for your domain, so:
>
> csv2["ucmerced.edu."] = "ucmerced.edu.csv2"

This machine is not authoritative for ucmerced.edu.  When it pretends to
be (SOA), it appears that machines that know it's not authoritative
(including our campus's e-mail server) ignore its responses.  That
causes "timeout" errors in the mail server trying to deliver mail to us.

It seems that star/wildcard records work alright except for WKS queries.
I'm calling that a bug.

--kyler