lame servers

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Mon Jan 5 08:22:20 EST 2009

Hi,

The postmaster at work pestered me, the hostmaster, why some DNS lookups
were failing (some 1500 a day) that were preventing people from sending
mail to particular domains.

Digging around on a particular offender (MX lookup for wjh.harvard.edu)
I found that there is a lame server entry which causes MaraDNS to
respond with a SERVFAIL to the user.

Now I understand the real fix is to get medieval on the hostmaster's out
there with borked zone files however could someone explain what dangers
I have added (cache poisoning?) with the attached patch which seems to
work around the issue?

Cheers

Alex

--