Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 12:21:27 EDT 2009

Remco just wrote a message which got filtered for whatever reason; I'm
reposting his message

Remco wrote:

2009/7/19 Kai Hendry <hendry at iki.fi>

> If I understand ipv6 support in maradns correctly, I need recompile it
> (from the Debian packaged version) in order to host AAAA records don't
> I?

If I understand ipv6 support in maradns correctly, I need recompile it
> (from the Debian packaged version) in order to host AAAA records don't
> I?

Hi Kai,

The debian version of maradns should be ok "as is" to host AAAA records.
Only when you want to have maradns listen on an ipv6 address does maradns
have to be recompiled as an auth-only version.

I'm not sure on the behaviour as reported in the bug report :-(   I hope Sam
might be able to assist you there.

Kind regards,

Remco

My comments:

MaraDNS has no problem hosting AAAA records.  To listen on an ipv6 address,
MaraDNS needs to be recompiled with the "authonly" flag set ("./configure
--authonly").  MaraDNS 1 does not support DNS recursion over ipv6; people
will just have to wait for MaraDNS 2.0, which I am slowly but surely working
on.  Right now I'm trying to track down and fix some "crashes about once a
day" stuff I'm seeing with the HEAD branch of MaraDNS 2.0.

- Sam

I do not answer MaraDNS support requests sent by private email without being
compensated for my time. I will discuss rates if you want this kind of
support or if you send me a support concern via private email.

This includes non-security bug reports. I do not have the time to maintain a
bug tracker for MaraDNS nor handle bug reports sent via private email.
Please send MaraDNS non-security bug reports to the MaraDNS mailing list.

MaraDNS security vulnerability reports, however, will be dealt with without
charge and kept confidential.

(I just spent yesterday expanding the number of form replies I send out to
people who ignore all of the above and bug me with MaraDNS support requests
or bug reports via private email.  I had one very annoying person who flamed
me for my "show me the money to get MaraDNS email support" form email, so I
now have, in addition to a form reply discussing rates for MaraDNS support,
another form reply asking people to file bug reports on the MaraDNS mailing
list, yet another form reply telling people they really do need to file
their bug report on this MaraDNS mailing list if they didn't hear me the
first time, a form reply telling people who flame me when I ask for money
that they're being rude and to go away, and even form replies for things
like support requests or bug reports for non-MaraDNS software I've written
over the years [it's not supported but I'm open to finding maintainers] and
support requests for AES crypto [I have a few AES pages, so get a lot of
"help me with my class project" emails; the form reply says I don't supply
that type of support and to either talk to your teacher and supplies a
couple of AES references]).