maradns problem

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 23:53:04 EDT 2009

You know, I really need to work with Remmy to fix this list so messages to
the list are sent with a "Reply-To: list at maradns.org" header.  MaraDNS is no
longer purely a charity project; the program is free to download and use
(and modify and redistribute), support on the list is free, but private
email support costs you money.

ok, thanks. I will try to update to a newer version. In the changelog
> I read that maradns 1.???? had problems with ANY requests. I use
> 1.2.07.2-1, maybe this was fixed later?

The big 1.0 -> 1.2 change (from half a decade ago) was that ANY queries now
return all queries attached to a given RR type.  I made some subtle changes
to make ANY slightly more RFC compliant, as I recall its relation to
wildcard record.

ANY should return all queries.  If it doesn't, it means you have a packet
too large to fit in 512 bytes (Your example doesn't do this, but the actual
packet might).  That's a limitation of DNS.  There is a way of setting up
DNS-over-TCP to minimize this issue with MaraDNS, but it's a bit of a pain
to set up:

http://www.maradns.org/tutorial/dnstcp.html