About IXFR zone transfer

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 13:20:52 EDT 2009

> The turorial:
>   http://www.maradns.org/tutorial/tutorial.html
> contains a lot of pages so it's not very feasibe to open each one and
> look for some words.

Google is your friend.  For example, a Google query for "IXFR site:
maradns.org" lets you know about MaraDNS' IXFR support.  "NAPTR site:
maradns.org" lets you know MaraDNS 1.3.08 added NAPTR support.  And so on.

There's other options to RTFM of course, such as downloading the MaraDNS
source code tarball, going to the directory doc/en, then do something like:

find . -type f | xargs grep IXFR

Which lists all of the files with "IXFR" and the context where "IXFR" is
found.

Here is an extended form of the query, which only lets us see the files
where IXFR is mentioned:

 $ find . -type f | xargs grep IXFR | cut -f1 -d: | sort -u
./changelog.txt
./man/zoneserver.8
./misc/dns-record-types.txt
./source/changelog.embed
./source/old.changelog
./source/zoneserver.ej
./text/man.zoneserver.txt
./tutorial/man.zoneserver.html
./webpage/advocacy.embed
./webpage/advocacy.html
./webpage/changelog.html

(list all files below the current directory, look for "IXFR" in those files,
list only the filename of the file, make it a sorted list with no elements
duplicated)

It looks like it's time for me to add a "search this site" box to the left
side of the MaraDNS web page, and use Google to process the results.

- Sam

*Note: *I do not answer MaraDNS support requests sent by private email
without being compensated for my time. I will discuss rates if you want this
kind of support. Thank you for your understanding.