Deadwood and Maradns compiled with ICC

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 23:55:02 EDT 2009

I'm really pleased to hear that!  I will make the makefiles part of
tomorrow's Deadwood snapshot and part of MaraDNS 1.3.14.  I assume you
don't mind me putting the same copyright on these files as with other
MaraDNS and Deadwood files:

http://www.maradns.org/license.html

(Note to self: Since 1.0 is only updated for critical security holes,
just call this the "MaraDNS license")

The other issue I want to resolve in MaraDNS 1.3.14 is the usage of
sys/types.h and the obsolete u_int32_t forms for integers where the
size is important; these days it makes more sense to use stdint.h and
the uint32_t forms (just as Deadwood does), since these cause problems
compiling MaraDNS on unsupported [1] platforms

> I  succefully compiled deadwood-2.3.04 and maradns-1.3.13 using ICC, any
> thoughts about how to  benchmark them ?

Good question.  Perhaps number of DNS queries one can compress a
second or some such.  Once I finish the compression code, which I've
been working on the last two weeks, and should finish up this weekend.

- Sam

[1] Unsupported is a relative term; it simply means "if you want me to
give you a good answer to your concern with MaraDNS on this platform
[2], you'll have to pay me for my time to setup a VMware virtual
machine running that platform so I can test things."

[2] MaraDNS and Deadwood are developed in CentOS 5 and tested in
CentOS 5 and Windows XP (using mingw)