Mara does not resolve ncs.gov

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 11:55:33 EST 2009

> sorry, that was my fault - a place somewhere very, very deep in my brain I
> surely *knew* about the problems with version 1.2.12.04 on Debian Etch

Yeah, one of my long-standing annoyances is that Debian ships
outdated, buggy versions of MaraDNS.  There have been no changes
between MaraDNS 1.2.12.04 and 1.2.12.09 except for bug fixes, but
Debian's retarded policies mean that "apt-get install" gives you an
obsolete version of MaraDNS.

I appreciate Debian making MaraDNS available on their list of
available software, since it gives MaraDNS more exposure, but if you
have an issue with an outdated release of MaraDNS, file a bug with
Debian's bug reporting system; if they get enough bug reports, they
might actually update to 1.2.12.09.

Personally, I don't care for Debian; it has the issues all-volunteer
organizations have: Inconsistent release schedules, no clearly-defined
EOL date (RHEL/CentOS 5 has one: March 31, 2014), and it covers a lot
more than RHEL does, but a lot covered isn't very well-covered.  For
example, Debian, unlike RHEL, comes with MaraDNS, but the version is
an outdated version because there are control freaks who aren't sure
that subsequent 1.2.12 releases are bugfix-only changes without
looking at the patches themselves, but won't take the time to look at
the patches.

I will start making RHEL/CentOS packages for MaraDNS (again), since
RHEL/CentOS 5 is the primary development platform for MaraDNS.
Indeed, I might set up a CentOS repository with MaraDNS, fvwm1,
xloadimage, xlock, and xdaliclock (these four "outdated" 1990s Linux
GUI programs are an integral part of my MaraDNS development
environment)

Take care,