Mara does not resolve ncs.gov

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Mar 2 13:55:28 EST 2009

Quoting Sam Trenholme (strenholme.usenet at gmail.com):

> Is there any kind of estimated EOL timeline for Lenny?

Not that I know of.  People who want deterministic release and EOL
schedules on a Debian-family distribution generally move to *buntu.

Personally, I've always considered running any incarnation of
Debian-stable to be inappropriate, as running (by contrast)
Debian-testing with optional access to Debian-unstable packages* is a
more satisfactory solution, including on production servers.

(The usual objection is that there's not a high guarantee of quality on
Testing, but this turns out in practice to seldom cause problems, and in
general only minor and easily solved ones, unlike with other commonly
encountered rolling distribution branches such as Rawhide or Cooker.
I.e., the quarantining script that populates Testing does an adequate
job of keeping you just far enough from the bleeding edge for comfort.
My opinion, yours for a small fee and disclaimer of reverse-engineering
rights.)

*If ever curious about how to do this, please ask.  It's not very
involved.