cache flush

Ken Lyons - Graphix Wizard/Data-Forms KenL at GraphixWizard.com
Tue Mar 10 14:49:58 EDT 2009

Antonio Anselmi wrote:
> thanks for the hints
>
> I tink to use cron in order to stop&start mara 'cos in some
> circumstances I need to stop all running daemons.
>
> is 15 mins timer a reasonable value in your real-life experiences?

I use  two DNS servers both multi homed (per RFC). Haven't had any
issues. I set my default TTL's for about 1 hour,
(10min for dynadns hosts).   And since both servers don't  recycle in
the same minute..one of them will take
all the incoming requests while the other  restarts. -- all of 10 seconds.

I use a shell script wrapper (trigged from  inittab ) on mara,  with a
-e flag.
If a certain file   /999-dns-down   exists, it just sleeps for 60
seconds and exits instead of running mara.
That way I can still shutdown DNS without it respawning or racing.

If there are many requests for a dns update in the webadmin (over 30
updates),
it can trigger a restart instead of waiting up to 14 minutes for the
next batch.

Ken