Multilevel wildcards

msibley at crosswire.com msibley at crosswire.com
Sat Nov 7 11:03:25 EST 2009

Howdy,

I'm trying to use maraDNS handle wildcard redirection. I find that

*.foo.% CNAME redirect.example.net. ~

works but,

*.*.foo.% CNAME redirect.example.net. ~

doesn't work. Is this a feature or a bug?

I have a ton regionally formatted hostnames like:

router1.city.state.example.net

and I would like to just wildcard all recursing namespace
to redirect.example.net. (ultimately a cgi script that knows what
hostname it was called as, and subsequently does cool things)

Is there a way to wildcard deep namespaces that doesn't involve
creating many zone files? (read as: without making automating zone
creation difficult)

Thanks in advance!
Matt