problem with CNAME record

Remco Rijnders remco at webconquest.com
Fri Oct 2 06:53:21 EDT 2009

On Fri, October 2, 2009 12:35, Markus Ferlitsch wrote:

> this record works
>
> *.domain.com.          +3600   CNAME   google.de.
>
> this one sucks :-(
>
> *.domain.com.          +3600   CNAME   example.com/index.php?from=test.
>
> Why the second record sucks? How must I enter it correctly?

Hi Markus,

maradns is a DNS server. The CNAME you have entered above is not a valid
DNS record and neither maradns nor any other DNS server will be able to do
what you're trying to do here (return an URL rather than an IP-address or
hostname).

You can get the desired result by configuring your webserver to respond
differently based upon the hostname used (for example, load a different
page for abc.example.com than for def.example.com). Read up on the
documentation of your webserver on how to do this. HINT: If you run
apache, look up the NameVirtualHost directive.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Remco