problem with CNAME record

Ken Lyons - Graphix Wizard/Data-Forms KenL at GraphixWizard.com
Fri Oct 2 08:55:53 EDT 2009

RE: ok thanks, I thought maybe I don't need an http-server for url
forwarding.

DNS is just a phonebook: Name to a number (A record),   Name to a Name
(CNAME) and Number to a Name (PTR).
URLs are all part of the HTTP system thus require a server.
Based on request,  you could do    *.domain.com  cname example.com. in
dns..so   example.com server would get the requests.

The server would need to be setup with virtual hosting..since the
request would still appear to before  *.domain.com.
I would normally setup a index.cgi script to redirect to where you want
the user to go to, or use extra features proveded by the HTTP Server tp
same end.

Ken Lyons
/ e/Solutions / IT Services
*GraphixWizard/Data-Forms*