flushing dns cache

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 13:34:23 EDT 2009

> the older OS 'flush' command meant to write the hard disk buffers to disk so you
> would not lose any info when you shut down. windows doesn't need that one anymore :)

Not to make this an OS advocacy discussion, but I like Windows XP and
CentOS 5 and don't like Ubuntu (too unstable).  Too bad my touchpad is
not compatible with CentOS 5 and my Wireless card has problems in
CentOS 5.

> anyhow, i noted that when i deleted the cache file after stopping the
> service, the file was not re-created until it stopped the next time, i
> gather that is when it writes the cache to disk from it's memory, reading it
> in again at the next start. indeed the file was not created on the initial
> install and start-up, but appeared subsequently.

Exactly.  Deadwood reads the cache file at startup and writes the
cache file at shutdown (or with the USR1 signal in CentOS 5).  Keeps
things simple that way.