New revised MaraDNS roadmap

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 13:38:23 EDT 2010

Today I have decided to revise my MaraDNS roadmap. I have realized
that I have an intrinsic need to develop open-source software, and
that this need is so strong it doesn't matter if I get paid for my
work.

That in mind, I will quit my job and have time to develop all of the
features people wish. In particular:

    * I will fast-track finishing up recursion in Deadwood and release
MaraDNS 2.0 in a month or two.

    * I will then integrate Deadwood and MaraDNS' current
authoritative code in to a single binary, releasing this as MaraDNS
3.0

    * I will then implement DNSSEC and DNScurve for MaraDNS, releasing
this as MaraDNS 4.0

    * At this point, I will replace the authoritative core with a fast
dynamic cache that will allow a multi-dimensional associative array to
be read to and written from disk. This will allow live zone transfers,
and instant startup, no matter how many DNS entries one has.

    * I will implement a method where one's originating IP can change
the reply MaraDNS gives; this will allow MaraDNS to support multiple
DNS "views", as well as changing DNS responses based on the client's
geographic location (Geo-IP)

    * I should be able to implement any and all features users ask for.

In order to implement all of these features in a timely manner, I will
quit my day job and devote all of my time to developing MaraDNS. I
will, of course, not charge for MaraDNS and keep it available under an
open-source license because, well, information wants to be free. My
inherit need to create code is more important than my need to pay the
rent and for food.

I should have MaraDNS 2.0 released in a month or two, MaraDNS 3.0
released by the end of 2010, and I will release MaraDNS 4.0 one year
from today, on April 1, 2011.