MaraDNS 1.4.04 released

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 12:31:17 EDT 2010

> Oops. Avira reports BDS/Backdoor.Gen in link
>
> http://maradns.org/download/1.4/1.4.04/maradns-1-4-04-win32.zip
>
> Should I ignore it?

It’s a false positive.

http://maradns.org/faq.html#virus

My personal theory is that some cheezy anti-viruses get upset by
Deadwood.exe because it is a GCC-compiled Windows service, since some
trojans are, in fact, GCC-compiled Windows services. AVG, on the other
hand, is smart enough to distinguish Deadwood from a real trojan.

AVG is free if being used on a home computer, unless the computer is
used for commercial purposes; e.g. I need to register AVG since, yes,
while MaraDNS is free, I do actively seek sponsors and charge for all
private email support.  But most people here probably don’t earn money
from work they do on their computer, and therefore can use AVG free
without charge.  It’s at http://free.avg.com/

Speaking of cool programs which are now considered trojans by
anti-virus software, Pac32k at http://www.crew99.com/downloads.html
(for people who don’t read German: It’s a tiny [only 32 kilobytes]
PacMan-style game) around late February or March started getting
marked as being a trojan; my theory here is that since the game is a
demo, the self-unpacking code in its header confuses anti-viruses
since the same self-unpacker is used by a real trojan.

(I should probably update the FAQ entry with more detailed information
on how to download and use AVG Free)

- Sam

Note: I do not answer MaraDNS (including Deadwood) support requests
sent by private email without being compensated for my time. A MaraDNS
support request is any and all discussion you may wish to have about
MaraDNS in private email; if you want to email me to talk about
MaraDNS then, yes, that is a support request. I will discuss rates if
you want this kind of support. Thank you for your understanding.

MaraDNS security vulnerability reports, however, will be dealt with
without charge and kept confidential. If you don't know what Bugtraq
is, then, no, your email is not a security report. It is not a
security report unless you've done due diligence to determine how the
security bug you think you found can reasonably be exploited.