Deadwood 2.9.03 released

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 16:23:13 EDT 2010

> Making connection to IP IP of length 127
> Making connection to IP IP of length 0
>
> What's the meaning behind?

“IP of length 127”: This means that the NS record in question is a
glueless NS record which requires a child resolution process to
resolve.

“IP of length 0”: This means an error was encountered when trying to get an IP.

The reason these aren’t documented is because level 128 debug messages
expose a lot of the internals of Deadwood which are primary of
interest to developers.

The important thing to look for in logs is “SERVER FAIL” messages,
which indicates something went wrong when trying to resolve a given
name.  Some names are tough to resolve, such as “www.gbod.org”, and
might take a couple of those “SERVER FAIL” messages to solve.  What I
am most interested in are host names that don’t resolve at all, and
consistently give “SERVER FAIL”.

Also, Deadwood 2.9.03 is already out of date.  I have already resolved
an issue I saw yesterday with upper-case glueless referrals and tuned
things to hopefully speed up Deadwood resolution a little:

http://maradns.org/deadwood/snap/deadwood-H-20100810-1.tar.bz2

- Sam

Note: I am actively looking for work and any job leads would be appreciated.

I do not answer MaraDNS (including Deadwood) support requests sent by
private email without being compensated for my time. A MaraDNS support
request is any and all discussion you may wish to have about MaraDNS
in private email; if you want to email me to talk about MaraDNS then,
yes, that is a support request. I will discuss rates if you want this
kind of support. Thank you for your understanding.

MaraDNS security vulnerability reports, however, will be dealt with
without charge and kept confidential. If you don't know what Bugtraq
is, then, no, your email is not a security report. It is not a
security report unless you've done due diligence to determine how the
security bug you think you found can reasonably be exploited.