documentation modification

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 20:47:33 EST 2010

> when Sam joined his new job he asked not to be sponsored anymore
> and told he could not develop for maradns anymore.

There seems to be some confusion about my current employment status
and how it affects MaraDNS.

The main way my day job affects MaraDNS is in the fact I haven't had
nearly as much time to develop MaraDNS as I did before; working six
days a week does that (and, yes, six-day workweeks are a reality in
today's economic climate).

My plan has been, long before I got hired at my current gig and even
long before I even heard of the company I work for today, to no longer
add features to MaraDNS once MaraDNS was out the door:

http://maradns.blogspot.com/2009/10/every-open-source-developer-grows-up.html

The only thing that has changed is that, because of a potential
conflict of interest, I have decided it is best to not receive
donations for MaraDNS development at this time.  And, quite bluntly,
since I earn more in my day job in one week than I have earned for my
decade of MaraDNS development, I think that's a perfectly fair deal.

Let me make this crystal clear: I am still supporting MaraDNS (by
answering emails posted to the mailing list when I have time).  I am
still fixing bugs in MaraDNS and Deadwood.  I have not walked away
from MaraDNS.

Please do not create rumors that MaraDNS is somehow abandoned or dead.
 Because, unlike what happened with djbdns, my development model does
not consist of walking away from the code because I got bored with
developing it one day (that day being February 11 2001 with djbdns).

Indeed, if you poke around the MaraDNS website, you can see that I
have made recent updates to my code, and, as you can see here, I am
still posting to the MaraDNS mailing list.