MaraDNS on OpenWRT

Remco Rijnders remco at webconquest.com
Mon Feb 1 00:35:56 EST 2010

Sebastian Müller schreef:
> Hi,
>
> I am running OpenWRT 8.09 with MaraDNS 1.3.07.08-1
>
> Since I didn't find any bug-reports or alike I am posting here. Maybe
> it's even not a bug. And I can solve my problem with your assistance.
>

> In my network there is a windows 7, a windows xp and a debian sid box.
> All traffic is routed through a Linksys Router with OpenWRT.
>
> Both windows systems are never having any problems in resolving dns from
> the openwrt router.
>
> But the debian box got.
> When typing "dig somedomain.com", the maradns is resolving. "ping
> somedomain.com" is working fine, too.
> But a "telnet somedomain.com XY" prints "telnet: could not resolve
> somedomain.com/XY: Name or service not known"
> The same happens with ssh and ftp and so on too.
> When I type "telnet -4 somedomain.com XY" the resolving works.
>
> First I thought that this is some kind of strange IPv6 problem - but my
> router doesn't have IPv6, the debian box and the windows boxes neigther.
>
> So I tried a server running maradns, placed outside of my LAN.
> Everything works, the debian box is resolving everything without any
> problems. "telnet somedomain.com XY" is working just fine.
> The server doesn't got ipv6.
>
> So I replaced maradns on openwrt router by bind9 package. And everything
> is working, too.
>
> Is it a bug in maradns?

Hi Sebastian,

To be honest I don't have the faintest idea what could be the issue
here. Can you try it using a more recent version of maradns and see if
you still have the observed issue? The version that's currently on your
OpenWRT box is from late 2007 and there have been a few stable releases
since then. Sorry that I can't be of further help with your problem here.

Kind regards,

Remco Rijnders