MaraDNS on OpenWRT

Sebastian Müller spamcatch-maradns.org at messageme.de
Sun Jan 31 22:23:43 EST 2010

Hi,

I am running OpenWRT 8.09 with MaraDNS 1.3.07.08-1

Since I didn't find any bug-reports or alike I am posting here. Maybe
it's even not a bug. And I can solve my problem with your assistance.

In my network there is a windows 7, a windows xp and a debian sid box.
All traffic is routed through a Linksys Router with OpenWRT.

Both windows systems are never having any problems in resolving dns from
the openwrt router.

But the debian box got.
When typing "dig somedomain.com", the maradns is resolving. "ping
somedomain.com" is working fine, too.
But a "telnet somedomain.com XY" prints "telnet: could not resolve
somedomain.com/XY: Name or service not known"
The same happens with ssh and ftp and so on too.
When I type "telnet -4 somedomain.com XY" the resolving works.

First I thought that this is some kind of strange IPv6 problem - but my
router doesn't have IPv6, the debian box and the windows boxes neigther.

So I tried a server running maradns, placed outside of my LAN.
Everything works, the debian box is resolving everything without any
problems. "telnet somedomain.com XY" is working just fine.
The server doesn't got ipv6.

So I replaced maradns on openwrt router by bind9 package. And everything
is working, too.

Is it a bug in maradns?

Cheers,
Sebastian