Feature Request: more flexible logging facilities

Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik ruskie at codemages.net
Wed Mar 10 03:44:43 EST 2010

:2010-03-10T09:37:Luigi Lauro:

> > Logging is done by duende, which is a very simple 252-line C program.
> > MaraDNS uses stdout for all messages; these messages are caught by
> > duende, which logs them using syslog.
> >
> I know, but still, it's quite weird to see MaraDNS so full-featured,
> and still miss what 99,9999999999% of the opensource project give as
> 'standard': a flexible logging configuration.
>
> It would be useful to be able to choose at least the syslog facility,
> and I think this can be done easily, if the 'logging to file' involves
> get rid of duende to switch to something more flexible.

Have you actually tried duende?

Quote from the manpage:
For example, suppose one invokes duende thusly:

    duende /usr/local/sbin/maradns
If invoked thusly, duende will log all messages with the
"ident" (program name) of "/usr/local/sbin/maradns". If
this is not desired, invoke duende with something like:

       export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/sbin
       duende maradns

This will log messages with a (more sensible) "ident" of
maradns.
End quote

It works great for me. And using a better sysloger like metalog, rsyslog
and such makes it easy to filter per ident no clue if regular syslog does
that though.

I get all maradns logs as: /var/log/$host/maradns/current which I then
logrotate.

--
Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik
Source Mage GNU/Linux Games/Xorg grimoire guru

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?