MaraDNS: Logging

Remco Rijnders remco at webconquest.com
Wed May 12 02:49:22 EDT 2010

Charles Bray wrote:
> I am sure this must be a common question... please excuse I am a newbie sysadmin.
>
> We are using OpenDNS for filtering web content at our small office, but we need per-user (even just ip address) reporting.  OpenDNS can not do this since we are behind a NAT.
>
> Can MaraDNS be used to sit between our users and the OpenDNS service, and simply spit out a nice log file of which local IP addresses requested what DNS names?

Hi Charles,

Put the following in your mararc file:

verbose_level = 3

This will log all queries received. You'll have to do some parsing of
the logfile yourself to extract meaningful information, but it should
return lines like:

May 12 02:48:23 sevensisters maradns.etc_maradns_mararc: Query from:
194.30.0.1 Aaurora.webconquest.com.
May 12 02:48:23 sevensisters maradns.etc_maradns_mararc:  Log: Message
received, processing
May 12 02:48:29 sevensisters maradns.etc_maradns_mararc: Query from:
194.30.0.1 Uaurora.webconquest.com.
May 12 02:48:29 sevensisters maradns.etc_maradns_mararc:  Log: Message
received, processing

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Remco