Question about high performance with MaraDNS

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Wed May 12 14:09:28 EDT 2010

> We're about to install a testing environment and we'll let you know our results.

I am looking forward to that.  Be sure to also try MaraDNS 2.0 when
(and if) it comes out.  MaraDNS 2.0 is a complete rewrite of the
recursive code; it will not use threads and should be less CPU-bound.

My current MaraDNS 2.0 progress is this: If someone sat me down and
paid me to work on MaraDNS full-time, I could probably get MaraDNS 2.0
out the door by June sometime.  Since that’s not about to happen (the
code is free — it’s hard to find people willing to pay hard cash for
something given away), I can't give a timeline.

Hopefully it will be ready by the end of the summer; I did essentially
all of the infrastructure needed for a fully recursive DNS server in
2009, got burnt out and took a break last September, and recently
ended that break and am slowly making progress again.  A lot depends
on the day job I have; when I have a “twiddle my thumbs until
something breaks” day job, I make progress much more quickly than with
a “develop software as quickly as possible” day job.

As an aside, right now I don’t have a day job; when I return to the US
mid-June, I would like a good job.  If anyone can provide me leads, I
really appreciate it.

- Sam

Note: I do not answer MaraDNS (including Deadwood) support requests
sent by private email without being compensated for my time. A MaraDNS
support request is any and all discussion you may wish to have about
MaraDNS in private email; if you want to email me to talk about
MaraDNS then, yes, that is a support request. I will discuss rates if
you want this kind of support. Thank you for your understanding.

MaraDNS security vulnerability reports, however, will be dealt with
without charge and kept confidential. If you don't know what Bugtraq
is, then, no, your email is not a security report. It is not a
security report unless you've done due diligence to determine how the
security bug you think you found can reasonably be exploited.