cp

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Fri May 14 10:16:06 EDT 2010

>> Google doesn't turn one up.  I would guess that since bind has the majority market share, that's what cp's will be written for. <<

To add to what Joey said, MaraDNS is an open source piece of software.
 This means that, if you want something implemented for MaraDNS, there
are two options:

* You can pay someone to implement it.

* You can implement it yourself.  No, it doesn’t matter if you’re not
a C programmer; Dennis Ritchie wasn’t a C programmer either when he
started implementing the C language.

Indeed, MaraDNS has, for example, improved IPv6 support because
Jean-Jacques Sarton wanted to see MaraDNS have this and submitted
patches to make it so.

One thing I observe is that a lot of people not familiar with open
source software and its culture start using open source software as if
it was just like commercial software, but free.  They, for example,
think support channels for open source software are just like the
support channels for proprietary software.  They think the only way
bugs get fixed or features are added is by bugging the vendor.  And so
on.

Open source doesn’t work like that.  Open source software belongs to
the community as a whole; while the software can be freely downloaded
and used, if you want something to happen with the software that
doesn’t coincide with my “itch”, you are on you own and will have to
do it yourself.

Open source software has a lot of benefits, but using it entails more
responsibility than one has with proprietary software.  It is
considered rude to just barge in to an open-source project and demand
free support like as though you just bought some program down at the
local Fry’s and are calling the support number on the box.

OK, I’m done with my rant and we return you to our regularly scheduled
programming.

- Sam

Note: I do not answer MaraDNS (including Deadwood) support requests
sent by private email without being compensated for my time. A MaraDNS
support request is any and all discussion you may wish to have about
MaraDNS in private email; if you want to email me to talk about
MaraDNS then, yes, that is a support request. I will discuss rates if
you want this kind of support. Thank you for your understanding.

MaraDNS security vulnerability reports, however, will be dealt with
without charge and kept confidential. If you don't know what Bugtraq
is, then, no, your email is not a security report. It is not a
security report unless you've done due diligence to determine how the
security bug you think you found can reasonably be exploited.