Maradns forgets TXT records with asked for ANY ?

Maxime Ritter maxime at ritter.eu.org
Tue May 18 18:57:01 EDT 2010

Le 19/05/2010 00:49, Sam Trenholme a écrit :

>>> Which version of MaraDNS are you using?
>>
>> I use the package provided by my distribution (Debian Etch AMD64) ; maradns
>> version 1.3.07.09. (package is latest available ; 1.3.07.09-2).
>
> Works for me.  In window 1, I did the following as root:

There must be some misunderstanding, I was using maradns as a recursive
solver, not on my own zone. I tried on my own zones, and it was
correctly working :)

Then I played a bit, and found that sometimes djbns and bind recursive
servers also lost some records with an ANY lookup...

And here is why : http://bit.ly/bo6vUq
>    Actually, a T_ANY lookup isn't guaranteed to return the TXT records,
>    unless you're querying the authoritative name server directly. On another
>    name server, T_ANY will only return whatever the server already knows
>    about the domain name.

Ok, so it wasn't bug, I just learned something new about the DNS protocol.

Maxime.