zonecheck - question

Remco Rijnders remco at webconquest.com
Tue Nov 16 11:57:47 EST 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 04:01:50PM +0100, Markus Ferlitsch wrote:
> today I have tried a zonecheck.
>
> What does this warning means?
>
> ----
> *
> Nameservers are all part of the same AS*
>
>    - *Adv: ZoneCheck
>    *
>
>    *To avoid losing all connectivity with the authoritative DNS in case of a
>    routing problem inside your Autonomous System, it is advised to host the DNS
>    on different AS.*
>

>    -
>
>    *All the nameservers are part of the same Autonomous System (AS number
>    6830), try to have some of them hosted on another AS.*
>

>    - *generic*
>
> ----
>
> Some months ago I didn't get this warning - but I also didn't change my
> maradns settings - it seems that the zonecheck-tool got some upgrade.
>
> PS: I use three maradns servers - 2 static IPs are from one provider in
> different towns and the thiwd server ist hosted at any other provider.

Hi Markus,

You can safely ignore this warning. It just means that all 3 IP addresses
are owned / controlled by the same entity (UPC). Should UPC have a major
routing issue, your DNS might become unavailable (but I guess at that time
your ISP will be well aware of that issue!). As long as the servers are in
different locations (different datacenters in different cities) you'll
most likely be ok.

If you run mara on a unix box, and have the 'whois' program installed, you
can run for fun: whois AS6830 . You'll see this is quite big a network
object importing many other AS objects. I guess the zonecheck warning
comes from this.

Cheers,

Remco