MaraDNS 2.0

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 14:48:56 EDT 2010

>> I've also just released MaraDNS 2.0.  This is simply MaraDNS 1.4 with
>> the old deprecated MaraDNS 1 recursive code torn out of the maradns
>> daemon, to be replaced by the separate Deadwood daemon.  More to the
>> point, the documentation has been updated to reflect the fact that
>> recursion should now be done with the Deadwood daemon I have spent the
>> last three years making a reality.
>
> This is great !!!
> I just realized :-) due to the subject not referencing it.
> This is a great achievement I am sure we will use for many things.
> Thank you for all this!

I am very pleased with the MaraDNS 2.0 released.  I was never
satisfied with the code for MaraDNS 1.0’s recursive code and wanted to
rewrite it for years.  I thought the rewrite would take about a year.
It actually took nearly three years.  As it turns out, the initial
release of Deadwood was three years ago today:

http://maradns.blogspot.com/2007/10/groundbreaking-of-deadwood-project.html

And Deadwood was finally finished just a couple of weeks ago:

http://maradns.blogspot.com/2010/09/deadwood-3001-released.html

I was always embarrassed about MaraDNS 1.0’s recursive resolver (the
code was nigh-to-unmaintainable by the time we got it fully recursive
and working on the real-world internet).  Deadwood’s clean code base
gave me the self-confidence to tell potential employers that they can
look at my Deadwood code and see that I write professional quality
code.  It worked; I got hired with a living wage in a very tough
economic climate.

For people out there who love programming and want to get a good
programming job in even the toughest economic climate, start an
open-source project, become responsible for its SQA (trust me: Have a
good SQA process in place, such as what Deadwood has in the sqa/
directory, because that is something that will be brought up during
the interview), support, and follow-through.  It will show prospective
employers that you love programming (because you do it for free), and
have the self-discipline to manage a large-scale project completely on
your own, not to mention the responsibility to finish what you start.