Performance issues with deadwood

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 03:58:01 EDT 2010

> sounds good, looking forward to the windows version being updated to reflect
> the fix.

http://maradns.org/deadwood/snap/Deadwood-H-20100908-win32.zip

Now, please note:

* Gibson’s tool reports this being a lot faster than the last Deadwood

* Gibson’s tool reports that this release of Deadwood is unreliable.
Gibson’s tool is lying.  I’m aware of the issue and my official reply
is “Bug Steve Gibson and tell him to write better software”.  :)  (It
is good software, it’s just not the best tool for testing a program
like Deadwood being run on a home network)

Everyone else: The cool patch that further randomizes the hash by
adding a random constant broke other code, so has been withdrawn.  I
know what the issue is and have updated the patch to mostly fix the
issue, but it doesn’t work.  So, I’m withdrawing the patch for now.
And, oh, hash_magic_number is broken for the same reasons.

One idea is to remove the hash_magic_number parameter, and add some
code that will, *before* reading /etc/dwood3rc (we have to do it
before because the hash is used to parse a mararc file), read
/dev/urandom (“secret.txt” on Windows machines) and get entropy from a
combination of that and the timestamp when Deadwood is started for the
additive constant.

- Sam

Note: I am still available and am looking for work.  I appreciate all
of the people who have given me leads via private email.

Note also: If you want MaraDNS help or to report a MaraDNS bug, send
it to the list, not to my private email unless you’re willing to pay
me.  Thank you for your understanding.