Performance issues with deadwood

Marlon sysadmin at mrgnetwork.com.br
Wed Sep 8 11:35:54 EDT 2010

 Guys,
> OK, I’ve found and fixed a bug in Deadwood which accounted for about
> two thirds of the slowdown compared to unbound.
>
> I just did the same test you did, and this the timings I saw:
>
> * 7 minutes 29 seconds without the bug patched (about the same you
> saw, with a fairly large cache in place)
>
> * 2 minutes 57 seconds with the bug patched (from a “cold start”: No cache)
>
> Now, the reason I’m getting slower numbers than you may be caused by
> me having a slower internet connection than you.  Or, it may be caused
> because there are other bugs slowing down resolution which I still
> need to stamp out.
>
> Anyway, deadwood-H-20100906-2.tar.bz2 at
> http://maradns.org/deadwood/snap/ has the bug patched.  In addition, I
> will add the patch after my rather long sig.
>
> Thank you for the bug report and let me know how much of a speedup you see.
>
> - Sam

I compiled deadwood-H-20100906-2.tar.bz2  with ICC instead GCC on a Mac mini dual core (running Linux) with 1 GB of ram and ran the test:

time $(for h in $(cat hosts.txt); do printf "\n\n\n"; dig $h; done > test.log)

and got:

Deadwood:

real	2m26.541s
user	0m0.120s
sys	0m0.020s

I ran the test using another DNS recursors too:

PowerDNS recursor:

real	1m49.019s
user	0m0.109s
sys	0m0.030s

Unbound:

real	1m17.721s
user	0m0.115s
sys	0m0.023s

my internet connection is an ADSL with 3 MB of download and ~ 700 Kbps of upload.

and finally I ran another test using namebench ( http://code.google.com/p/namebench/ ), please see results attached. ( I don' t know if the pages will render properly to you.  )

Deadwood:

Avg (ms) 	=	691.34
Min         	=	0.39