Deadwood at OpenWRT

Sebastian Müller spamcatch-maradns.org at messageme.de
Fri Sep 10 01:12:43 EDT 2010

Am 10.09.2010 04:26, schrieb Sam Trenholme:
> I’m very curious how well Deadwood works on an embedded OpenWRT host.

I just used the host.txt Juergen Daubert posted a few days ago and ran
it from a client. I am connected on a cable connection with a latency of
10ms to my upstream DNS Server.

It took 0m57.597s to finish, before the MaraDNS upstream server cached
the results
and 0m13.621s after the upstream MaraDNS cached it.

Both times I flushed Deadwood's cache.

> I do apologize for not using $HOSTCC correctly; I’ve never used a
> cross compiler to compile Deadwood, so I neglected to set up the
> makefile to always use $HOSTCC to compile the RandomPrime tool (which
> is used to compile other programs).
>
> Note that while I have written Deadwood to be endian-neutral, I have
> never had the chance to test Deadwood on a big-endian system like the
> MIPS ISA.  Does Deadwood work without problem on a big-endian system?
> If not, let me know, and I’ll see if I can get QEMU or whatever set up
> to debug the big-endian issues.

I didn't ran into any trouble yet, using Deadwood since a few weeks
(2.9.03) on my TP-Link TL-WR1043ND. One time I got a segfault, but after
recompiling (and changing nothing) everything worked. It is possible
that I forgot to shutdown DNSMasq which is the default resolver on
OpenWRT before running Deadwood.

> I also wonder if there is a MIPS version of the “strip” tool?  I know
> x86_32 binaries are about 90 or 100k in size, but squeeze down to
> being 64k binaries when stripped.  For example, Deadwood 2.9.07
> compiles to be 100,589 bytes in size in Windows32, but “strip” reduces
> its size to 64,512 bytes (the x86_64 binary is about 82k in size after
> -Os + strip).  118k seems to be about right for an unstripped binary;
> see if you can strip it to make it 70k or 80k in size (I know MIPS’
> ISA does result in larger binaries than x86’s ISA; there’s a reason
> the ARM ISA has the “thumb” instruction set).

Yes, there is a strip tool, after striping the file sizes 100768 bytes.
I used -s for striping

>> -s --strip-all     Remove all symbol and relocation information

> Besides that, it looks really good.  Is is OK if I add your Makefile
> to the Deadwood distribution once we figure out how to strip the
> binary?

I just updated makefile and binary, to give it a easier
look/understanding for you about the PATH hierarchy and added striping.
Yeah, of course can you add it if you want. I mainly posted here to
reach people who are interested in getting Deadwood running off x86.

Sebastian