Deadwood at OpenWRT

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 22:15:05 EDT 2010

> I did the test 3 times without using an upstream server. It took
> real    2m40.678s
> real    2m17.158s
> real    2m16.010s
> (I didn't change the order)
>
> Deadwood uses 5% of memory, my router got 32mb overall / displayed 29mb
> in top.
> (29mb|32mb) * 0.05 = 1.45mb|1.6mb

First of all, thanks for doing these tests.  One use case I was never
able to test for in Deadwood was to see how it ran on a big-endian
ISA.  While I have written Deadwood in an endian-neutral manner, it’s
nice to see reports of Deadwood actually working on a big-endian
processor without problem.

Second of all, it looks like OpenWRT uses smaller malloc() pages or
what not; on Windows, a single entry in the cache uses about two
kilobytes of memory, but here it looks like each cache entry uses less
memory.

Anyway, I had as one of the “known issues” for Deadwood the fact it
hasn’t been tested on a big-endian machine; I have removed that issue.

Another use case I would like to see tested is using Deadwood for DNS
lookups delivering mail on a mailhub (lots of MX lookups).  Deadwood,
by default, disables MX lookups (on an average consumer machine, it’s
far more likely an MX lookup is coming from a spambot than from a
legitimate request to deliver email), but there is a way to enable it
which I will spell out if anyone comes forward and says they want to
test Deadwood doing DNS lookups so email can be delivered.

- Sam

No, I do not answer MaraDNS email privately.  Not unless you pay me for it.